Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Lessons From A One Legged Bird

Truth be told, I am a worrier. Yep, that’s me. Worry, Worry, Worry. I worry so much sometimes, that I catch myself worrying that I am worrying too much. Why do I worry? Well usually it is when I am tired and when I have taken my eyes off of God; when I have taken to doing things by my own might and strength instead of turning things over to Him. Never fails, this is usually when the trouble starts. It starts when I get wrapped up in trying to take care of something important for my family or friends and then things don’t go according to the my plan. Instead of taking a step back and evaluating, I will usually try to fix things and get them back on my plan, then something else goes awry and the viscous cycle begins. God just sits back and watches me spin my wheels and then it happens. The wheels fall off. I am sent spinning and left frustrated, fearful, and the worry sets in. How will I ever get things done? How can I make this happen? When really God is trying to get my attention and wants me to see that He is in control. Not me. It is His plan. He calls the shots. He makes up the rules. I just need to Trust Him.

Once again I opened my Bible this morning and asked God to speak to my heart and He led me to this scripture. I immediately thought about these pictures I had taken a while back and I knew that nothing happens by accident. I knew that God would put his message together at just the right time for me.

Luke 12: 22. And [Jesus] said to His disciples, Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious and troubled about your life; as to what you will eat; or about your body, as to what you will wear. 23. For life is more than food,
and the body [more] than clothes. 24. Observe and consider the ravens; for they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn; and [yet] God feeds them. Of how much more worth are you than the birds! 25. And which of you by being overly anxious and troubled with cares can add a ‘cubit to his stature or a moment of time to his ‘age? 26. If then you are not able to do a little thing as that, why are you anxious and troubled with cares about the rest? 27. Consider the lilies, how they grow. They neither toil nor spin for weave; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory [his splendor and magnificence] was not arrayed like one of these. 28 But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you, O you [people] of little faith? 29. And you, do not seek [by meditating and reasoning to inquire into] what you are to eat and what you are to drink; nor be of anxious mind; 30 For all the pagan world is seeking these things and your Father knows that you need them. 31. Only aim at and strive for and seek His kingdom, and all these things shall be supplied to you also, 32. Do not be seized with alarm and struck with fear, little flock, for it is your Fathers’ good pleasure to give you the kingdom! 33 Sell what you possess and give donations to the poor; provide yourselves with purses and handbags that do not grow old, an unfailing and inexhaustible treasure and in the heavens, where no thief comes near and not moth destroys. 34. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.






Look at this little bird. I saw him one morning on my way to work and I happened to have a camera with me so I snapped a few shots. A little one legged bird was hopping along side my car in the drive thru line as I was waiting for my breakfast. I looked at him and for a moment thought “Aww, what a poor little bird. He only has one leg.” But you know what, that little bird didn’t seem to care. He wasn’t sitting on the curb having a nervous break down about his lost leg or worrying about what he was going to find to eat; nor did he feel sorry for himself. Instead he was hopping around, carefree and happy, chirping and picking at little crumbs that people had dropped; happy with what he had found to eat; what God had provided and life was good. He wasn’t worried about whether or not he would have enough for tomorrow because tomorrow God would once again provide. If not in this drive thru lane, there would be another.

God is our provider. He is Jehovah Jireh. The God of “More than Enough”. Putting your faith and trust in God isn’t always easy, but when you let it go, and step out of the way, you make room for God to move and do His thing. He will not let you down. His plan is the right plan; the perfect plan. And guess what happens when His plan is in motion? Yep, you get to stop worrying!

6 comments:

BriteCloud said...

What a great analogy! And I bet that little bird didn't even know he only had one leg. God really does provide for us, it just may not be the way we had it envisioned. We should try to change our will to His instead of His will to ours.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I just love your blog! - Lisa

Jenny B in Indy said...

Love this!!!

Anonymous said...

I just love reading your blog! You are so inspiring. I, too, am a worrier. You really hit the nail on the head with your thoughts on this. We just need to let go and let God. I am really looking forward to getting to know you. Thanks Heidi.
Laura Sexton

Anonymous said...

Great Post! Very inspirational!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. You will never know how much this little entry in your blog helped me today :)

Deanna

Post a Comment